This article is meant to be a quick recap of news from the last week, thoughts going into each week’s games, notes on injuries, guys to put on your radar, etc. It’ll be a quick article every week because we’re all busy Sunday mornings.
News and Notes
Legion of Doom – Former Legion of Boomer Brandon Browner was sentenced to 8 years in prison for pleading No Contest to an Attempted Murder charge. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/05/brandon-browner-original-member-legion-boom-defense-sentenced-eight-years-prison/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a5f2156d15a0
Landon Collins ended up on IR. Collins may have played his last down in the Big Apple. He’ll be a UFA this offseason. And given a choice, will Collins be interested in a rebuild?
Jamal Adams had some fun destroying Patriots gear. https://youtu.be/EaziXyr-1_s The Patriots have beaten the Jets by a combined 77-36 in the three games Adams has been a member of this rivalry. Until Brady retires, this seems like the best way for Adams to get back at them…
Does Philly/Dallas need more fuel for the fire? Kamu Grugier-Hill thought so. KGH was quoted saying Dallas “always chokes, so we’ll go down there and make them choke.” KGH will be involved in the absence of Jordan Hicks. The bigger question is who will be playing in Philly’s secondary.
Sean McVay broke NFL Twitter by properly scouting the Bears defense.
I want a coach with this type of attention to detail. Full scouting report on the Bears defense. Literally all 11 starters.. pic.twitter.com/MPYPkh3gR1
— Dustin Fox (@DustinFox37) December 5, 2018
If you find this impressive, do yourself a favor and join an #IDP league. Anyone in a deep IDP league could have done this and done it correctly. He didn’t mention starting NT Eddie Goldman. I don’t want to sound like I’m throwing shade at McVay, the guy is a genius, but this isn’t nearly as impressive as the video that came out a few months ago with McVay remembering exact plays he had called in specific situations years before. Also, Wade Phillips threw slight shade at his head coach…
Wade Phillips did his best to match 🤣pic.twitter.com/IcmgD5c4E2
— Sporting News (@sportingnews) December 6, 2018
A video was released of Ryan Shazier lifting weights. This is really uplifting.
— ESPN (@espn) December 6, 2018
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Reuben Foster’s ex-girlfriend gave an interview about his abuse. That guy should not be on an NFL roster.
The second Head Coaching position of the season opened up when Green Bay fired Mike McCarthy. The Packers would be smart to keep DC Mike Pettine who has led several Top 10 defenses in the past. That said, if the new Head Coach wants to bring in his own staff, a scheme transition doesn’t seem likely. The Packers’ best pass rusher Kyler Fackrell tops out at 245 pounds, making him an unlikely 4-3 DE without packing on a few pounds.
Last position to break down upcoming UFAs, Interior Defensive Line:
- Ndamukong Suh – The obvious winner here would be Michael Brockers. Brockers is currently on pace for 697 snaps on the season, which doesn’t seem that far off the 730 snaps in 2017, but he only played 11 snaps in Week 17 and is likely headed for a similarly small number this season. His tackle numbers are down slightly. His sack numbers are very down. Brockers has a good chance to be a bounceback candidate next season.
- Sheldon Richardson – The best replacement on the roster would be a 4th Round sophomore, Jaleel Johnson. If the Vikings think they’re still in their Super Bowl window, they’ll either sign a FA or draft someone highly.
- Allen Bailey – Obviously, Chris Jones is a stud. They don’t have a replacement for Bailey on the roster though.
- Kyle Williams – Star Lotulelei and 3rd Round rookie Harrison Phillips will lead the committee.
- Muhammad Wilkerson – This was one signing that didn’t work well for Green Bay. With Mike Daniels also injured, Green Bay has only used Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry along the D-line.
- Danny Shelton/Malcolm Brown – The Patriots always use a committee at DT so you should avoid them.
- Grady Jarrett – This one would be interesting. Jarrett is one of the young studs on this defense. The replacement at the moment would be 3rd Round rookie Deadrin Senat.
Tweet of the Week
Offense grabs facemask = Great play Defense grazes facemask= 15yd flag & 15k+ fine
— Harrison Smith (@HarriSmith22) December 7, 2018
Harrison Smith had an issue with Derrick Henry’s 99-yard TD run.
Poll of the Week
Easy Like Sunday Morning Poll of the Week: With Deion Jones return, who is your LB1? As always respond with your answer if it's not here.
— Ben Glaser (@Ben_Glaser) December 8, 2018
Good luck in the fantasy playoffs. Hopefully, all of you win your games, unless you’re playing me. Watch for my Snap Count articles midweek, and we’ll see you next Sunday. Follow me on Twitter at @ben_glaser