This article is meant to be a quick recap of news from the last week, thoughts going into each week’s games, notes on injuries, guys to put on your radar, etc. It’ll be a quick article every week because we’re all busy Sunday mornings.
News and Notes
The big #IDP news this week was Reuben Foster. Foster was arrested at the team hotel last Saturday night, before the 49ers game against the Buccaneers. The arrest was on domestic violence battery. San Francisco released him the next morning. Amazingly, one team decided to put in a waiver claim on the former 1st Rounder. The Washington Redskins decided to face the obvious PR firestorm that came with claiming Foster. Foster hasn’t even been that good to date. In 1.5 years, he’s played 16 out of a possible 26 games, missing 10 to suspension and injury. His stat line over those 16 games has been 101 combined tackles, 10 TFLs, 0.0 sacks, 2 PDs, 0 interceptions, 0 FFs, and 0 FRs. He racks up tackles but has produced exactly 0 big plays. Washington dug the PR hole they jumped in deeper when Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams commented on the waiver claim, calling the allegations against Foster “small potatoes.” Williams has already had to apologize for his comment. It remains to be seen if Washington put in a waiver claim for Kareem Hunt…
Deion Jones is set to return from IR. Jones is arguably #Dynasty LB1. Having him back for the playoffs will be a boon to all teams that have him. Also ready for the playoffs is Joey Bosa who notched 2.0 sacks in his second game of the season last week.
Let’s talk about potential soon-to-be-UFA off-ball LBs.
- Thomas Davis – Maybe this will finally be the year for Shaq Thompson…
- KJ Wright – You’d think it could potentially be Shaquem Griffin, but Griffin hasn’t played a defensive snap since Week 1.
- Preston Brown – Potentially 6th Round sophomore Jordan Evans could play himself into a bigger role. Remember Cincy also drafted Malik Jefferson in the 3rd Round. Jefferson has only played 8 defensive snaps on the season so that would be a big sophomore leap.
- Anthony Barr – Barr plays the fantasy-inefficient SAM spot. Starting WILL, 4th Round sophomore Ben Gedeon getting more snaps would be interesting though.
- CJ Mosley – It would be hard to see Mosley outside of Baltimore. The spot next to Mosley has been a 3-way committee between 4th Round rookie Kenny Young, former UDFA Patrick Onwuasor, and Safety Anthony Levine.
- Deone Bucannon – Bucannon isn’t playing any snaps at the moment, so the question isn’t who will replace him, but more a question of whether another team will take a chance on Bucannon and give him a starting opportunity.
- Kwon Alexander – There are apparently questions whether 3rd Round sophomore Kendell Beckwith will ever play again. Beckwith will miss the entire 2018 season due to injuries suffered in an April car accident. Tampa doesn’t have anyone else to fill in, as you’ve likely noticed this season with Alexander and Lavonte David.
- Denzel Perryman – This could be a mess. Assuming Kyzir White is healthy next year, he likely takes the WILL. Hayes Pullard obviously isn’t the answer. Jatavis Brown and Adrian Phillips are the primary LBs at the moment.
Tweet of the Week
Do not try and block me! pic.twitter.com/wNct3LgDV7
— Jamal Adams (@TheAdamsEra) November 28, 2018
First Round sophomore Jamal Adams offering some useful life advice.
Poll of the Week
— Ben Glaser (@Ben_Glaser) December 2, 2018
Good luck in Week 13. Hopefully, all of you win your games, unless you’re playing me. Watch for my Snap Count articles midweek, and we’ll see you next Sunday. Follow me on Twitter at @ben_glaser